In this episode of the MGMA Insights podcast, we’re joined by Dave Dookeeram and Anne Marie Aponte, of DispatchHealth, a Colorado-based organization offering in-home and on-demand care in 12 states across the country. Dookeeram and Aponte will be co-presenters at MGMA20 | The Financial Conference, delivering a session titled “Driving Financial Results in Consumer-centric, Value-based Arrangements.”
Don’t quite have time to listen to the entire episode? No worries. We’ve compiled a handful of highlights from Dookeeram’s and Aponte’s interview for your convenience:
- (6:17) “Core to what we do and what you see in a lot of in-home care models is really focusing on our senior population. We certainly have an aging population. We know that nine million seniors are going to be homebound in the next 10 years, and that certainly warrants new solutions that can meet them where they are.” – Anne Marie Aponte
- (7:05) “The consumer demand and the rapid growth of models like Uber and Netflix and things that put products or services at consumers’ fingertips really have changed the framework of how consumers think about healthcare and why can’t they get the same thing from their healthcare providers.” – Dave Dookeeram
- (14:52) “At the end of the day, sickness doesn’t wait for a brick and mortar facility to be open. And our firm belief is in meeting those consumers where they are, and meeting them where they are might mean 9pm on Christmas Day.” – Dave Dookeeram
- (25:59) “We’re not taking away from what should be occurring in a primary care setting. We’re not treating what might be appropriate for an ER. It’s really taking the types of care that can more safely, efficiently and cost effectively be delivered in the home and then ensuring that there’s this connection back to that patient care team, which is pretty sacred to our care model.” – Anne Marie Aponte
- (33:38) “There is something so special about being in someone’s home. … The amount of information you learn about a patient and their individual barriers to care just by being under that roof with them or wherever they are – if it’s the senior living community or elsewhere – that is stuff that you just can’t see on a claim, you can’t see traditionally in a medical chart.” – Anne Marie Aponte
Here are some links and reference related to this week’s show:
- Redefining On-Demand Care in Senior Populations
- On-demand Health Care Is as Easy as Ordering a Pizza
- 5 Ways Healthcare will Evolve in 2020
- An Uber for Health Care? How On-Demand Health Services Are Bringing Back Old-School Medicine
- Millennials: Who Needs Primary Care Physicians? Give Us On-demand Healthcare
If you like the show, please rate and review it wherever you get your podcasts. Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Spotify, Stitcher or countless other platforms to make sure you never miss an episode.
We love hearing from listeners about the show. If you have topics you’d like us to cover or experts you’d like us to interview, email us at email@example.com or reach out to MGMA Sr. Editor and podcast host Daniel Williams on Twitter at @MGMADaniel.
MGMA Insights is presented by Decklan McGee, Rob Ketcham and Daniel Williams.