The Medical Group Management Association's MGMA Stat poll asked healthcare leaders if their organization conducts training for yearly CPT code updates. More than half (55%) replied "Yes", 40% responded "No" and the remaining 5% were unsure.
As a follow-up question for those who responded "yes" to training, MGMA asked how they currently educate their staff. For simple CPT code changes, email suffices for many organizations. For more complex changes, however, staff meetings and training are often necessary. Examples cited include: online training via webinars and courses; in-house training during staff meetings; or external conferences, workshops and seminars.
MGMA Stat is a national poll that addresses practice management issues, the impact of new legislation and related topics. Participation is open to all healthcare leaders. See results of other polls and information on how to participate in MGMA Stat.
Keeping your staff up to date with changes can be challenging. For this reason, MGMA has created a diverse toolkit of resources to help your practice stay on top of coding and billing:
- Want to learn to code? Register for a comprehensive prepapration course that helps prepare for the AAPC Certified Professional Coder (CPC) certification program and final exam by providing instructor-led guidance and the offical preparation materials designed for success. Going beyond the books, you'll receive a multi-faceted and interactive approach to preparation while being listed at the most competitive price in the market.
- Download MGMA's member-exclusive analysis of the Proposed 2020 Medicare Physician Payment and Quality Reporting Changes to learn about the recently released 2020 Physician Fee Schedule (PFS) proposal, which proposes changes to both Medicare physician payment and quality reporting program policies. The final rule is expected to be published in early November. Members with questions regarding any of these policies should contact MGMA Government Affairs staff at 202-293-3450 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In the exclusive podcast Understanding the gray areas of E&M codes in medical practices, MGMA Industry Insights Senior Editor Craig Wiberg, MLS, MBA, chats with MGMA Senior Industry Advisors Cristy Good, MPH, MBA, CPC, CMPE, and Beverly Gibson, MBA, M.Ed., CMPE, CPC-I, CPMA, CEMA, about the elements of E/M codes when navigating leveling, categories, denials and more.
- Practices have a golden opportunity to streamline administrative and billing tasks by adopting a practice management system. But choosing the right software can be daunting, so the AMA and MGMA have partnered on a toolkit to help guide the decision-making process for this important investment.
- Ensure your practice is receiving full reimbursement based on accurate risk adjustment coding by taking this free exclusive online course, Introduction to Risk Adjustment Models & HCC Coding.
Authored by MGMA Staff