An Oct. 1 MGMA Stat
poll asking "What do you consider the most important leadership quality?" found that the most important leadership quality is integrity followed closely by the ability to listen and communicate.
According to Kenneth T. Hertz, FACMPE, principal, MGMA Consulting, “Leadership in these volatile, uncertain, complex and ambiguous (VUCA) times, is more critical than ever in our healthcare system. For me, leadership is all about relationships that are built on trust, mutual respect, transparency and openness.
"Leadership is a trait that can be learned. To achieve this, identify leaders and learn about them; regardless of the professional field, place or time in history. Leadership skills and relationships are timeless. By learning from the past, you too can become a great leader today and the into the future.”
- Tony Stajduhar, Kathy Cooperman and James Stuart Watson, III, MD, FACEP, will lead a session, "Focus on Fit: A Cultural Blueprint for Successful Physician Recruitment" from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 2, at MGMA18 | The Annual Conference.
- Steve Marsh, founder and chief executive officer, The Medicus Firm, Dallas, will lead a session, "Building and Maintaining a Positive Workplace Culture in Healthcare" from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 2, at MGMA18 | The Annual Conference.
- Amber Pedersen, RN, MBA, CMPE, and Molly Ramsay, will lead a session, "Building and Sustaining Highly Effective Teams: A Proactive Approach" from 2:45 to 3:45 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 2, at MGMA18 | The Annual Conference.
- Sara DeGregorio, MHA, Dana Sheer, RN, MSN, ACNP and Cindy Yu, MD, will lead a session, "An Alternative Pathway to Admission: The MGH/PHH Home Hospital Program" from 4:00 to 5:00 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 2, at MGMA18 | The Annual Conference.
- Insight article: "White coat and suit coat: The evolution of physician leadership" (by Rob Schreiner, MD, executive medical director, Huron|Studer Group and Thomas Tami, MD, senior medical executive, Trihealth Physician Partners)
- Fellowship paper: "The psychology of leadership qualities: Trait or learned" (by Marcella M. Pyke, RDH, MHS, FACMPE)
- MGMA leadership training: Optimizing personal and team growth
- Fellowship paper: "Mentoring millennials for future leadership in healthcare"