Exam Information and Registration
ACMPE exam registration
ACMPE exam registration can be completed on-demand. ACMPE program participants can register and sit for their exams with as little as two days’ notice any time of the year.
COVID19 Update: Registrants currently have the option for on-demand testing at over 500 Scantron testing locations, or until January 1, 2021 may select Live online-proctored format from the safety of their homes. To become board certified, members must pass the multiple choice and scenario-based exam requirement. You must register for each exam individually.
All international exam registration must call the service center to purchase. Each international exam registration will be charged an additional $50.00.
Exams will be in alignment with the new Body of Knowledge 4 ed. and Exam Specifications December 2020.
Before registering for an exam, you must:
* Those who have not yet completed their education and experience requirements may not register for the scenario-based exam.
About the examinations
ACMPE board certification examinations determine if you have knowledge of the principles of medical practice administration and the application of those principles to real-life healthcare situations and scenarios in addition to how to successfully manage all aspects of a medical practice.
Each examination is created to assess your current level of knowledge in the six Body of Knowledge domains with our exam competencies that define the scope of responsibility of medical practice executives.
The testing formats include:
- Multiple choice — Registration fee: $165
A 175-item test taken within three hours and 15 minutes. This exam assesses your knowledge of group practice management principles and practices as described in the Body of Knowledge for Medical Practice Management.
- Scenario — Registration fee: $165 (Open to those with validated education/experience requirements)
A two-hour test with 90 items of multi-select, multiple choice, short answer, or drag and drop questions pertaining to 18-25 practice administration scenarios. This exam assesses in-depth knowledge of medical practice management principles and issues, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
Exam results indicate whether you passed the exam. Only a passing result is recorded on your ACMPE transcript.
- Results for each exam are accessible through a secure, online portal after your examination, and onsite after exam completion. You will receive additional instructions on accessing the portal once the results are available.
- If you do not pass an examination, you will receive related feedback with your results portal. Exam results are independent of another; you must only retake the exam(s) that you did not pass. You may retake either of the exams until you pass, but they must be repurchased each time.
For information on exam scoring, view the scoring FAQs.
We offer the multiple-choice and scenario-based computerized exams on-demand throughout the year at approximately 500 facilities across the United States. Scantron is our partner in delivering the certification exams. Within 24 hours of the registering, you will receive a “notice to schedule” email from Scantron. You will receive one notice to schedule per exam purchased. This will include your personal user name and password, allowing you to make your exam appointment at a designated testing facility. With your user name and password in hand, follow the link provided in the email to locate a specific exam site and schedule a date and time to take the exams. You may schedule an exam within 48 hours of purchasing. Please note that you must book one appointment per exam. If you have registered for both exams, you must book two appointments. Exam site hours vary by location. Please note that exam appointments are made on a first-come, first-served basis, Scantron, our testing vendor, will provide you, via email, directions to your selected exam site, procedures and other information. You must schedule and completed purchased exam(s) within one year of purchase. Exam registration eligibility will expire after one year, with no refunds.
COVID 19 UPDATE: Each examination site is taking extra precautions for the coronavirus, you will receive information on each sites sanitation and social distancing efforts once registered. All registrants may select between in-person exams or the option of Live online-proctored exams from the safety of their chosen work environment.
How to register for computerized exams
- Register for your exams during the year you wish to test.
- Pay the exam registration fee per exam.
- Within 24 hours of the registering, you will receive a “notice to schedule” email from Scantron. You will receive one notice to schedule per exam purchased. This will include your personal user name and password, allowing you to make your exam appointment at a designated testing facility.
- Schedule with your user name and password in hand, follow the link provided in the email to locate a specific exam site and schedule a date and time to take the exams. You may schedule an exam within 48 hours of purchasing. Please note that you must book one appointment per exam. If you have registered for both exams, you must book two appointments. Exam site hours vary by location. Please note that exam appointments are made on a first-come, first-served basis, Scantron, our testing vendor, will provide you, via email, directions to your selected exam site, procedures and other information.
You must schedule and completed purchased exam(s) within one year of purchase. Exam registration eligibility will expire after one year, with no refunds.
Registration note: Make sure the name listed on your driver’s license is the same name used to register and schedule your exams. If you have changed your name since you last tested with Scantron, please call MGMA at 877.275.6462 EXT 1888 to update your information before registering. and are subject to an additiona $50.00 fee per exam.
All international registrations must be purchased through the MGMA service center
ACMPE has partnered with Scantron centers to offer approximately 500 exam sites. Once you register for an exam through the MGMA store and your eligibility has been confirmed, you will be provided with a user name and password that will allow you to select your exam location, date and time. Please note that you won't be able to schedule your exam appointment at a scantron testing site until you have submitted your registration fees and eligibility requirement. You will only be eligible to schedule exams for one year from purchase date.
In accordance with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), arrangements for individuals with special needs will be made upon written request from candidates and will need to include medical documentation. For more information, please contact email@example.com. ADA requests must be submitted to MGMA no later than 45 days prior to the preferred test administration date and candidates must submit their scheduling request at least 45 day prior to their preferred test date.
Fees, cancellation and rescheduling policy
Fees: Registration fees for exams are $165.
International Exams are will be charged an additional $50.00 and cannot be purchased online.
- Examinations may be rescheduled 11 or more days of scheduled appointments. They must still test within the one year of eligibility.
- Examinations rescheduled 48 hours up to 10 days of schedules exam(s) will pay a $15.00 rescheduling fee per exam to Scantron.
- Those who wish to reschedule within 48 hours of scheduled exams, will be a No Show and will forfeit their fees and eligibility*. You will need to purchase exam(s) again to test.
- All reschedules are handled by Scantron at 919.572.6880.
There are no cancellations for examinations, all registrations must be used within one year of purchase. Unused examinations will expire after one year and must be repurchased, no funds will be refunded.
No-shows for the testing appointment will have to purchase the exam(s) again.
*Scantron has an emergency reschedule policy, that no shows and reschedules within 48 hours may be applicable to, based on Scantron’s discretion:
A candidate may cancel or reschedule his/her testing session fewer than two (2) days in advance of the testing appointment if the candidate experiences one of the following circumstances (the $25 rescheduling fee may apply). The candidate must provide Scantron with appropriate documentation (e.g., copy of summons, doctor’s note, copy of funeral announcement) within 15 business days of the rescheduling request.
- Serious illness and/or hospitalization (either the candidate or immediate family member [e.g., mother/father, sister/brother, wife/husband, child])
- Death in immediate family (e.g., mother/father, sister/brother, wife/husband, child)
- Disabling accident
- Court appearance
- Jury duty
- Unexpected military call-up
If you have other questions about please contact MGMA toll-free at 877.275-6462, ext. 1888.