MGMA requires 50 hours to maintain your ACMPE credentials and to complete your CMPE. Of the 50 hours:
30 hours must be from MGMA National, state or local.
- Article assessments (free, 10 a year offered)
- Webinars (free as long as they are not certificate bearing, 25-45 a year)
- Survey participation
- Lunch and learns/meetings with professional development (presentation on a topic)
Of the 30 hours, 12 must be from LIVE learning from MGMA National, state or local.
- Live webinars
- Live teleconferences
- Face-to-face events
20 hours must also come from qualified sources that pertain to the medical practice management field or MGMA.
- Recognized professional associations and organizations
- College and university coursework
- Formal presentations
- Distance learning with interactivity
Why does continuing education matter?
Continuing education encourages you to keep learning, improving and seeking best practices while also demonstrating personal and professional development and keeping abreast of changes in the medical practice management field.
What does the requirement mean for nominees?
A cumulative total of 50 credit hours is among the requirements for advancement to Certified Medical Practice Executive (CMPE) status. Hours must meet the required breakdown shown above and in your ACMPE Transcript. You may claim continuing education completed up to three years prior to your application purchase date once accepted.
What does the requirement mean for Board Certified Members and Fellows?
Once you have advanced to CMPE or Fellow status, you must earn and submit 50 hours of qualifying credit hours every three years to maintain your designation in the required breakdown shown above and in your transcript. All members are on the same three-year cycle; the current cycle began January 1, 2022, and concludes December 31, 2024.
What does the requirement mean for Life, Retired, and Distinguished Members who are CMPE's and Fellows?
The continuing education requirement and Fellowship volunteer hours for your American College of Medical Practice Executives (ACMPE) designations are not required to uphold your designations. Your ACMPE designations will remain in active and good standing, your transcript will reflect zero hours required.
Fellows Volunteer Hours
For Fellows, alongside the 50 hours of continuing education, you are required to meet six hours of volunteer hours in the same three-year cycle. Of the six hours required, three of which must pertain to healthcare and the remainder may be of any type.
Examples of healthcare related volunteer hours:
- MGMA volunteering
- State or local MGMA volunteering
- Healthcare associations volunteering
- Healthcare organization volunteering
What happens at the end of the three-year cycle for CMPE and Fellow Recertification?
Once you meet the requirements for recertification, you do not need to pay a fee and you do not need to notify MGMA. You will automatically be enrolled into the new three year cycle after the current cycle has closed. You will receive confirmation of completing the requirements at the end of the cycle.
Need ACMPE credit?
MGMA’s education programs and online events offer continuing education credit through the American College of Medical Practice Executives, the Certification and Fellowship entity of MGMA, for those working toward Certification or Fellowship.
Log your ACMPE Credit hours
- Sign in to MGMA.com
- Select “My Dashboard” found on the top right corner.
- Select “MANAGE MY ACCOUNT” found on the top left corner.
- Select “ACMPE TRACKING” found on the left side to enter the portal.
- Click “ACMPE Transcript” to review your total claimed credit hours and to request altering existing credit hours.
- Click “Add ACMPE Continuing Education Hours” to claim all qualified hours for ACMPE.
- To add hours for MGMA and external sources, complete “ Claim My Additional Credit”.
- To claim your completed MGMA webinars and conferences, complete “Claim My Attended MGMA Events”
Adding MGMA Webinar Continuing Education
If you wish to claim continuing education credit for an MGMA webinar, you must attend the live webinar or watch the on-demand recording, respond to the integrated polls in order to meet the interactivity requirement required.
Approved ACMPE Continuing Education
MGMA recognizes that numerous activities contribute to your professional growth and management effectiveness. Continuing education hours are granted for programs that include relevant content aimed at improving your management competence and medical practice management knowledge, with a level of interactivity.
- Educational programs (e.g., MGMA and non-MGMA conferences, seminars, webinars or online courses)
- College/university course work and independent study courses
- Authorship of published articles, books and chapters
- Authorship of published online course content
- Book editorship
- Formal, face-to-face and webinar presentations at least 30 minutes in length
- Participation in distance-learning programs (e.g., audio conferences, self-study, online courses) that include the opportunity for interaction and feedback
- Poster presentations (credit hours equal to number of clock hours scheduled to staff poster for presentation of discussion)
- MGMA magazine article assessments (Read a designated MGMA magazine article and complete the related assessment to earn one credit hour)
- Participate in a study group preparing for the board certification exams (hour-for-hour credit when delivering or listening to a formal presentation)
- Conduct or participate in internal staff training (must cover topics from the Body of Knowledge, not just organizational policy)
- Participate in a board retreat with a formal presentation
- Attend your local or state MGMA organization meetings
- Attend a vendor presentation that covers more than product features (such as the regulatory issues behind a system)
- Participate in education required by your medical malpractice insurance carrier
- CareerTrack or other career-development training
- CME courses offered through your state medical association
- Some medical societies, such as the American Academy of Family Physicians, offer continuing education credits for completing quizzes associated with their magazines
- Completion of the following MGMA Survey’s will count for credit: Compensation and Production: 4.5 credit hours; Cost and Revenue: 5.5 credit hours; Practice Operations: 1 credit hour. Upon completion of the survey(s), a post assessment will be available for completion to obtain credits.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email us: