About MGMA publications
- MGMA Connection magazine, MGMA's flagship print publication, is published quarterly to address industry issues and provide practice advice and information to readers. Articles are written by MGMA staff, MGMA members and other industry experts.
- MGMA Insights, a weekly newsletter combining MGMA subject-matter expertise and leading news, analysis and data from other sources.
- MGMA also publishes content for online-exclusive features that appear in the Resources and News & Insights sections of mgma.com.
How to submit an article
Articles should be sent at Microsoft Word files to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tabular data and diagrams/charts should have editable text, as most items will be redesigned before final publication. If necessary, separate attachements (such as Excel spreadsheets) are acceptable.
- Charts and graphs: Number and clearly label each chart, graph, table or other illustration and reference it in the article text. Chart/graph formats may change to match the magazine’s visual style.
- In submitting a manuscript, you give MGMA the first right of refusal for publication. You agree not to submit the article elsewhere until MGMA makes a decision about its publication.
- Author bios: MGMA publications include each author's name, credentials, job title, company or institution, city, state and email address. Include this information on the first page of an article.
- Citations: Provide references for facts or figures used in your article unless they come from your own experience. Footnote a citation in the body of the text and provide the complete reference at the end of the article.
- MGMA uses National Library of Medicine style for footnotes. Include author name(s), article title, publication, year, volume, issue and page numbers. (For example: Smith C, Jones W, Davis, R. "Article title in quotation." Publication title in italics." Date. URL if applicable.) For online references, provide the entire URL and the date the information was accessed. Please do not use the automatic footnote feature in Microsoft Word.
- Author photos: When an article is accepted for publication, each author will need to submit a photo. For articles appearing in print, digital photos must be at least 300 dpi at roughly 1 inch wide in a standard headshot framing.
- Photographs: When submitting photographs to accompany the article, please provide captions and photographer credits, when applicable.
Authors are encouraged to reach out with article ideas or outlines weeks before the submission deadline for feedback and comments on development of a manuscript. Email email@example.com or call toll-free 877.275.6462, ext. 1217, to share your article idea.
||Article submission deadline
|Finance/Revenue Cycle |
|Friday, Oct. 4, 2019
|Quality & Patient Experience |
|Friday, Dec. 27, 2019
|Innovation & Leadership |
|Monday, March 23
||Friday, June 12
An article submission should contain one or more of the following:
- Practical advice and thought-provoking information written specifically for medical group practice administrators and physician executives
- Case studies that outline how medical group practices have implemented new processes
- High-level expertise or opinions about the state or future of the healthcare industry
- Credible data presented in charts and graphs, as well as noncommercial web resources that readers can tap for more information
- Information presented in concise formats, such as checklists and bulleted lists
Articles for MGMA publications are submitted voluntarily and for no remuneration. Articles must be objective and nonpromotional. MGMA publications do not permit promotional listings of vendor or product names in editorial copy. Articles must be unique and not previously published in print or as digital articles. While each issue will have feature articles (about 1,100 to 2,000 words) and departmental articles (about 700 to 1,000 words) related to the editorial focus, we encourage article submissions regardless of topic throughout the year.
An article may be reviewed by the MGMA Publications Advisory group, which comprises MGMA members active in the practice management field and MGMA staff authorities. The panel's recommendations are instrumental in the decision to accept an article, request a revised draft or reject it. Accepted manuscripts are subject to editing. An editor will contact you if substantial revisions or clarifications are needed.
Once an article is accepted, authors are asked to sign a copyright release form, giving MGMA exclusive ownership of the article.
Articles published contain the expressed opinions and experiences of the authors and do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of MGMA. An editor's note to this effect may be included with opinion pieces or articles that deal with sensitive topics.
How articles will appear
Features (about 1,100 to 2,500 words) focus on an in-depth topic related to the issue's main area of focus. Shorter articles (between 700 and 1,000 words) explore a variety of areas related to the Body of Knowledge (BOK).
Articles in MGMA Connection magazine will be organized into one of eight standing sections:
Authors of accepted articles will receive a "sneak peek" PDF of their article after layout for review prior to publication.
- Business Strategy: Topics include facilities, governance, strategic planning, partnerships, mergers and acquisitions
- Financial Management: Topics include benchmarking, budgeting, contracting, data analytics, provider compensation and RVUs
- Human Resources: Topics include benefits, compensation, culture, staff engagement, leadership development, performance management, recruiting, hiring, professional development and HR legal issues
- Risk & Compliance: Topics include HIPAA, OSHA and other compliance regulations, disaster/emergency planning and risk management
- Operations Management: Topics include marketing/social media, operating policies/procedures, practice efficiency, staffing models and value-based operations
- Quality & Patient Experience: Topics include patient access, patient engagement, patient flow and population health
- Revenue Cycle: Topics include billing/collections, coding/documentation, credentialing and reimbursement
- Health Information Technology: Topics include business intelligence, EHRs, business operations technology, patient care technology and HIT regulations
All MGMA Connection magazine authors will receive one hard copy of the issue in which their article appears, along with information on requesting an electronic copy in PDF format.
MGMA Connection magazine is a member-benefit publications, and most articles are published digitally behind a member wall. If you would like to view your article online but are not a member, learn more about the benefits of MGMA membership.
- To submit or propose an article: Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call toll-free 877.275.6462, ext. 1217.
- To request an article reprint: Visit the E-Prints Terms and Conditions page.
- To advertise in an MGMA publication: Learn more from MGMA Marketing Solutions.
- To update your mailing address for MGMA Connection magazine: Contact the MGMA Service Center – 303.799.1111 ext. 1888 between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. Mountain Time, Monday through Friday, or email email@example.com.
- All other correspondence: Email firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to MGMA, c/o Chris Harrop, 104 Inverness Terrace East, Englewood, CO 80112.