Give your practice a competitive advantage by learning what data to use in order to make better business decisions.
See what's inside the book:
PART I — MOVING PAST CANNED REPORTS
Chapter 1 – Getting Started
Chapter 2 – Accumulating and Analyzing Your Data
- Clarifying Your Data
- Improving Data Gathering
- Administration and Staff Training
- Your First Project
- Out with the Old
Chapter 3 – Presenting Your Data
- Excel PivotTable
- Excel PivotChart
- Excel Tables
- Connecting Excel to SQL Server
- SQL Server’s Business Intelligence Tools
- Send Me an Alert
- Combining SQL Server and Excel
- Report Servers
- Data Warehouses
- Seeing Your Data
- Operational Dashboards
- Tactical Dashboards
- Strategic Dashboards
- Focus on What is Important
- Avoid Pie Charts
- Evaluating Your Dashboard
- Displaying Dashboard Data
- Too Much Information
PART II — SEEING YOUR DATA
Chapter 4 – Accounts Receivable
Chapter 5 – Payer Contracting
- Aging Pivot Table
- Accounts Receivable Detailed Analysis
- Forecast Collections Based on Accounts Receivable Balance
- Days in Accounts Receivable
- Days to Resolve Claims
- Percentage of Resolved Claims
- Patient Accounts Receivable
- Balance Due from Cash-Paying Patients
- Adjusted Fee-for-Service Collection Percentage
Chapter 6 – Scheduling
- Percent of Charges Allowed by Primary Insurance
- Comparing Top Procedure Code Reimbursement by Payer
- Claims Paid at Less Than Contracted Amount
- Payer Mix
- Percentage of Medicare Reimbursement Charted against RVU Volume
Chapter 7 – Prior Authorizations
- Who’s Where
- No-Shows Based on Appointment Time
- No-Shows Based on Date the Appointment Was Scheduled
- No-Shows by Patient
- Days to Third Next Available Appointment
- Today’s and Tomorrow’s Registration Status for Scheduled Appointments
- Open Appointment Slots
Chapter 8 – Collection at Time of Service
Chapter 9 – Workflow and Overall Duration of Appointments
- Expired Authorizations for Appointments Scheduled in the Next Two Weeks
- Pending Authorizations
Chapter 10 – Lag Days
- Overall Appointment Duration
- Patient Wait Times
- Registration Time Compared to Number of New Patients
Chapter 11 – Billed Charges
- Days from Last Date of Service to First Bill
- Days from Last Date of Service to Claim Entered in PM System
Chapter 12 – Payments and Adjustments
- Productivity Based on Billed Charges
- Productivity Based on RVUs
- Evaluation and Management Coding Chart
- Procedure Code Frequency
- Quality Measures
Chapter 13 – Claims Management
- Collection Trends Pivot Table for Analysis
- Collections by Location and Payer
- Collections by Provider and Referring Physician
- Charges, Payments, and Adjustments
- Adjustments by Category
Chapter 14 – Acquiring, Valuing, and Retaining Patients
- EDI Claims Detail
- EDI Claims Pivot Table
- Claims Denials
- Denials Pivot Table
Chapter 15 – Putting It All Together
- Track New Patients with a Pivot Table
- Calculating the Value of a Patient
- Date of Last Referral
- New vs. Established and Sick vs. Well Patients
- Trends in Referring Physicians
- Clinical Marketing
- Untreated Patients
- Potential Lost Patients
- Billing Dashboard
- Scheduling Dashboard
- Revenue Cycle Director Dashboard
- Strategic Dashboard
- Dashboard Wrap-Up
Please note: Refunds will not be issued for ebook purchases.
Contact the MGMA Service Center for cancellations or refunds.
Toll-free: 877.275.6462, ext. 1888
Complaint resolution policy
Please contact the MGMA Service Center toll-free at 877.ASK.MGMA (275.6462) for issues or concerns with this book.
If you purchased a printed copy, here is our shipping details.
MGMA members enjoy FREE standard shipping on all purchases. Simply add FREESHIP to the Promo Code field during checkout.
Nonmember Shipping Prices:
- Standard shipping $9.50 (5-7 business days)
- Two-day shipping $20.00
- Overnight shipping $25.00 (excludes Saturday delivery)
MGMA can ship internationally for an additional fee. Please call the MGMA Service Center for a shipping quote.
Lucien W. Roberts, III, MHA, FACMPE, Administrator, Gastrointestinal Specialists, Inc.
Nate and Mona have written a timeless classic with Better Data, Better Decisions. It's that rare book that will benefit everyone, from a new manager to a seasoned vet. Within days of my first read of it in October 2013, we had implemented changes that made a positive difference. I learned ways to do things I was already doing better and ways to get beyond the frustrating constraints of canned reports from our PM and EHR. Better Data, Better Decisions remains a top shelf 'go to' book, and its ROI is the largest of any book I have ever purchased. Thank you, Nate and Mona, for an amazing effort to inspire your peers to find new ways to access and use data.
If your purchase includes an ebook:
How to access your ebook
Following your purchase of an MGMA ebook, your ebook will be added to your saved items in your Dashboard. To access the files, please sign in to MGMA.com and visit "My Dashboard".
eBooks will be made available as .mobi, .epub and .pdf for some titles.
Recommended file types depend on the devices used to access the ebook:
- PC or Mac — EPUB or PDF.
- iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch — EPUB or PDF.
- Kindle and Kindle Fire — MOBI or PDF.
- Android — EPUB.
- NOOK, NOOK Color and NOOK Tablet — EPUB.
- Sony Reader and Other eReaders — EPUB
If a pdf version is not listed it is not available for this specefic title.
Using your ebook
In order to access your ebook you must have one of the following:
- PC or Mac
- iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch
- Kindle and Kindle Fire
- NOOK, NOOK Color and NOOK Tablet
- Sony Reader and Other eReaders
Kindle is a free option to view the ebook and can be downloaded here