Patient access is business-critical for today’s medical practice. Patient access impacts appointment availability, the cost to deliver medical care, patient and referring physician satisfaction, as well as your practice’s bottom line. Velocity to treatment is the new competitive advantage for medical practices.
Patient Access: Tools and Strategies for the Medical Practice
addresses the critical components of patient access: provider supply, patient demand, scheduling optimization, telephone management, call centers, virtual communication, and telehealth. It provides strategies, tools, and resources to help your practice effectively manage the patient access challenge.
With this book, you'll learn to:
- Balance provider supply and patient demand
- Cultivate a patient access culture
- Determine tactics to streamline call handling
- Develop strategies to optimize scheduling
- Create best practices in telephone management
- Enhance communication with patients and referring physicians
- Provide a detailed road map to design, develop, and manage a call center
- Develop protocols for virtual communication and e-visits
- Select systems that can provide an effective telephone platform
- Benchmark key performance indicators (KPIs) to recommended patient access targets
Chapter 1 – Overview
Chapter 2 – Strategy
- Creating a Culture of Access
- Balancing Provider Supply and Patient Demand
- Optimizing Provider Capacity
Chapter 3 – Scheduling Optimization
- Scheduling Methods
- Strategies to Optimize Scheduling
Chapter 4 – Call Demand and Performance
- Telephones and Quality
- Inbound Calls
- Outbound Calls
- Telephone Quality and Service Expectations
- Customer Feedback
Chapter 5 – Telephone Access Redesign
- Engage Stakeholders
- Telephone Action Plan
- Telephone Management–By Call Type
- Converting Inbound Calls to Outbound Calls
- Reducing Inbound Calls
Chapter 6 – Telephone Staffing
- Recruiting Telephone Staff
- Creating a Telephone Staffing Model
- Staging the Telephones
- Staff Education
- Staff Resources
- Staff Performance Management
Chapter 7 – Call Centers
- What Is a Call Center?
- Key Decision Steps in Call Center Development
- Staffing a Call Center
- Call Center Design
Chapter 8 – Virtual Communication and Telehealth
- Patient Portal
- Virtual Visits
Chapter 9 – Communication Tools
- Telephone Scripts
- Staff Knowledge
- Nonverbal Communication Tools
- Customer Service Tools
- Message-Taking Tools
Chapter 10 – Systems and Technology
- Automatic Call Distributor
- System Selection
Chapter 11 – Key Performance Indicators
About the Authors
Contact the MGMA Service Center for cancellations or refunds.
Complaint resolution policy
Please contact the MGMA Service Center toll-free at 877.ASK.MGMA (275.6462) for issues or concerns with this book.
How to access your ebook
Following your purchase of an MGMA ebook, your ebook will be added to your saved items in your Dashboard. To access the files, please sign in to MGMA.com and visit "My Dashboard".
eBooks will be made available as .mobi, .epub and .pdf for some titles.
Recommended file types depend on the devices used to access the ebook:
- PC or Mac — EPUB or PDF.
- iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch — EPUB or PDF.
- Kindle and Kindle Fire — MOBI or PDF.
- Android — EPUB.
- NOOK, NOOK Color and NOOK Tablet — EPUB.
- Sony Reader and Other eReaders — EPUB
If a pdf version is not listed it is not available for this specific title.
Using your ebook
In order to access your ebook you must have one of the following:
- PC or Mac
- iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch
- Kindle and Kindle Fire
- NOOK, NOOK Color and NOOK Tablet
- Sony Reader and Other eReaders
Kindle is a free option to view the ebook and can be downloaded here