The Medical Group Management Association's most recent MGMA Stat
poll asked healthcare leaders if their organization conducts training for yearly CPT code updates. More than half (55%) replied "Yes", 40% responded "No" and the remaining 5% were unsure.
As a follow-up question for those who responded "yes" to training, MGMA asked how they currently educate their staff. For simple CPT code changes, email suffices for many organizations. For more complex changes, however, staff meetings and training are often necessary. Examples cited include: online training via webinars and courses; in-house training during staff meetings; or external conferences, workshops and seminars.
This poll was conducted on December 18, 2018, with 1,038 applicable responses.
is a national poll that addresses practice management issues, the impact of new legislation and related topics. Participation is open to all healthcare leaders. See results of other polls and information on how to participate in MGMA Stat.
Keeping your staff up to date with changes can be challenging. For this reason, MGMA has created a diverse toolkit of resources to help your practice stay on top of coding and billing:
Learn more about MGMA Consulting
- Start the new year right by attending the MGMA webinar Coding Updates for 2019. This 60-minute webinar will review changes to CPT®, ICD-10-CM and HCPCS codes and how they may affect operations. You'll be better prepared to avoid denials and payment delays by staying on top of code changes that affect your practice and its cash flow.
- Download MGMA's member-exclusive analysis of the 2019 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule to learn about new physician payment policies that go into effect on January 1, 2019. Changes to physician reimbursement include newly covered virtual visit, remote patient monitoring, and telehealth codes. Members can also learn about revisions to E/M documentation requirements starting next year. Members with questions regarding any of these policies should contact MGMA Government Affairs staff at 202-293-3450 or email@example.com.
- In the exclusive podcast Understanding the gray areas of E&M codes in medical practices, MGMA Industry Insights Senior Editor Craig Wiberg, MLS, MBA, chats with MGMA Senior Industry Advisors Cristy Good, MPH, MBA, CPC, CMPE, and Beverly Gibson, MBA, M.Ed., CMPE, CPC-I, CPMA, CEMA, about the elements of E/M codes when navigating leveling, categories, denials and more.
- Practices have a golden opportunity to streamline administrative and billing tasks by adopting a practice management system. But choosing the right software can be daunting, so the AMA and MGMA have partnered on a toolkit to help guide the decision-making process for this important investment.
- Ensure your practice is receiving full reimbursement based on accurate risk adjustment coding by taking this free exclusive online course, Introduction to Risk Adjustment Models & HCC Coding.
- To increase your level of understanding of the importance of diagnosis coding for all specialties and all services, consider attending the session "CON803: Maximizing Revenue through Correct Diagnosis Coding" at TFC19 | The Financial Conference.
Learn more about MGMA Stat
Authored by MGMA Staff