ACMPE Continuing Education
Why does continuing education matter?
Continuing education encourages you to keep learning, improving and seeking best practices while also demonstrating personal and professional development and keeping abreast of changes in the medical practice management field.
Need ACMPE Credit?
Most of MGMA’s education programs offer continuing education credit through the American College of Medical Practice Executives, the certification and Fellowship entity of MGMA, for those working toward certification or fellowship.
How do you earn ACMPE credit?
MGMA recognizes that numerous activities contribute to your professional growth and management effectiveness. Continuing education hours are granted for programs that include relevant content aimed at improving your management competence and medical practice management knowledge.
You may receive credit for continuing education taken up to one month prior to your nominee acceptance date. You can receive ACMPE credit hours for:
- Educational programs (e.g., MGMA and non-MGMA conferences, seminars, webinars or online courses)
- College/university course work and independent study courses
- Authorship of published articles, books and chapters
- Authorship of published online course content
- Book editorship
- Formal, face-to-face and webinar presentations at least 30 minutes in length
- Participation in distance-learning programs (e.g., audio conferences, self-study, online courses) that include the opportunity for interaction and feedback
- Poster presentations (credit hours equal to number of clock hours scheduled to staff poster for presentation of discussion)
- Survey participation and questionnaires (e.g., MGMA Cost and Revenue Survey = six hours, MGMA Physician Compensation and Production Survey = four hours, MGMA Management and Staff Compensation Survey = three hours)
- MGMA magazine article assessments (Read a designated MGMA magazine article and complete the related assessment to earn one credit hour)
- Participate in a study group preparing for the board certification exams (hour-for-hour credit when delivering or listening to a formal presentation)
- Conduct or participate in internal staff training (must cover topics from the Body of Knowledge, not just organizational policy)
- Participate in a board retreat with a formal presentation
- Attend your local or state MGMA organization meetings
- Attend a vendor presentation that covers more than product features (such as the regulatory issues behind a system)
- Participate in education required by your medical malpractice insurance carrier
- CareerTrack or other career-development training
- CME courses offered through your state medical association
- Some medical societies, such as the American Academy of Family Physicians, offer continuing education credits for completing quizzes associated with their magazines
What does the requirement mean for nominees?
A cumulative total of 50 credit hours is among the requirements for advancement to Certified Medical Practice Executive (CMPE) status. You may receive credit for continuing education taken up to one month prior to your nominee acceptance date.
What does the requirement mean CMPEs and Fellows?
Once you have advanced to CMPE or Fellow status, you must earn and submit 50 hours of qualifying credit hours every three years to maintain your designation. All members are on the same three-year cycle; the current cycle began Jan. 1, 2016, and concludes Dec. 31, 2018. MGMA will calculate a prorated requirement for CMPEs who advance after the beginning of a cycle. Be sure to check your transcript regularly to see how many hours you still need to fulfill.
How do you log your ACMPE Credit hours?
We are in the process of finalizing a dedicated area for claiming your ACMPE continuing education, as well as developing an easy-to-use ACMPE transcript with your continuing education tracking and status. Once this new portal is available, we will be sending a follow-up communication to all ACMPE nominees, board certified, and fellows.
At this time, Those wishing to claim their non-MGMA continuing education credit for ACMPE non-MGMA continuing education credit please request your credit though this temporary form.
MGMA will respond to all inquiries within 5 business days.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email us:
ACMPE questions: email@example.com
General CEU questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your patience in the matter as we work on providing you an improved experience.