ACMPE June exam registration — Open April 22 - May 6
To become board certified, members must pass the multiple choice and scenario-based exam requirement. You must register for each exam individually.*
Before registering for an exam, you must:
* Once you purchase your exam, you will receive a “Notice to Schedule” email five business days after the exam registration window closes from MGMA’s testing vendor, Castle Worldwide. You will receive one "Notice to Schedule" email per exam. This email will include your personal user name and password allowing you to make your exam appointment at a designated testing facility.
** Those who have not yet completed their education and experience requirements may not register for the scenario-based exam.
About the examinations
ACMPE board certification examinations determine if you have knowledge of the principles of medical practice administration and the application of those principles to real-life healthcare situations and scenarios in addition to how to successfully manage all aspects of a medical practice.
Each examination is created to assess your current level of knowledge in the six Body of Knowledge domains with our exam competencies that define the scope of responsibility of medical practice executives.
Examinations may be completed once an applicant has been accepted to the program. Exams are held four times per year, in-person at the Castle Worldwide testing locations.
The exams can be taken during the same exam cycle or separately, but you must register for each exam individually. These exams can be completed in the order that works for you.
The testing formats include:
- Multiple choice — Registration fee: $165
A 175-item test taken within three hours and 15 minutes. This exam assesses your knowledge of group practice management principles and practices as described in the Body of Knowledge for Medical Practice Management.
- Scenario — Registration fee: $165 (Open to those with validated education/experience requirements)
A two-hour test with 90 items of multi-select, multiple choice, short answer, or drag and drop questions pertaining to 18-25 practice administration scenarios. This exam assesses in-depth knowledge of medical practice management principles and issues, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
Scores are released within two to six weeks after the close of each testing window. For information on exam scoring, view the scoring FAQs.
How to register for computerized exams
- Register for your exams during an open exam period.
- Pay the exam registration fee
- Look for your "Notice to Schedule" email five business days after the exam registration window closes. You will receive one notice per exam. This will include your personal user name and password allowing you to make your exam appointment at a designated testing facility.
- Schedule your exams — With your user name and password, you must follow the link provided to locate your specific exam site and schedule a date and time to take the exams. You must book one appointment per exam. If you have registered for both exams, you will need to book two appointments. You will be able to choose any available appointment that works for you during the exam window. Exam appointments are made on a first-come, first-served basis, so scheduling early will help ensure the best choice of appointment time and location. Directions to your selected exam site, procedures and other information will be provided to you in an email. Please note, we only use Castle’s US locations. Exam site hours vary by location.
Registration note: Make sure the name listed on your driver’s license is the same name used to register and schedule your exams. If you have changed your name since you last tested with Castle Worldwide, please call Castle at 919.572.6880 to update your information before registering.
ACMPE has partnered with Castle centers to offer approximately 500 exam sites. Once you register for an exam through the MGMA store and your eligibility has been confirmed, you will be provided with a user name and password that will allow you to select your exam location, date and time. Please note that you won't be able to schedule your exam appointment at a Castle testing site until you have submitted your registration fees and eligibility requirement.
In accordance with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), arrangements for individuals with special needs will be made upon written request from candidates and will need to include medical documentation. For more information, please contact email@example.com. ADA requests must be submitted to MGMA no later than 45 days prior to the preferred test administration date and candidates must submit their scheduling request at least 45 day prior to their preferred test date.
Fees, cancellation and rescheduling policy
Fees: Registration fees for exams are $165 and are not transferable.
Rescheduling: If you need to reschedule within the current exam date block, you may do so by calling Castle Worldwide at 919.572.6880. Please note that a $50 per exam rescheduling fee applies.
Cancellations: To cancel your scheduled exam or registration, please contact Castle Worldwide at 919.572.6880. If you have scheduled an exam date and time, there is a $50 fee paid to Castle Worldwide.
Refunds: Refunds will be issued by MGMA after the close of the exams.
- No-shows for the testing appointment, and cancellations occurring less than four days in advance, will not receive a refund.
- Cancellations made four or more days prior to the scheduled exam date, or prior to scheduling an exam appointment, will be refunded minus an administrative fee of $25 per exam.
Exam registration fees are only valid for current exam dates and are not transferrable. If you wish to reschedule your exam for a different period, you must first cancel your current registration and re-register during the exam period of your choice.
If you have other questions about please contact MGMA toll-free at 877.275-6462, ext. 1888.