2019 Fellowship Program Enhancements
MGMA is excited to announce new enhancements to the ACMPE Fellowship and board certification program due to take effect on Jan. 1, 2019.
Please preview the changes to the Fellowship program below. To view enhancements to the board certification program, click here.
View board certification enhancements
ACMPE Fellowship enhancements
MGMA wants our Fellows to clearly demonstrate the skills and abilities that contribute to the advancement of medical practice leadership and the healthcare industry, therefore, we will be introducing new Fellowship requirements in 2019.
This new criteria includes new eligibilty, professional submission, continuing education and volunteer hour changes.
Enhanced program criteria — Begins Jan. 1, 2019
|QUALIFY & APPLY
||PREPARE A BUSINESS PLAN & VOLUNTEER
||MAINTAIN YOUR CREDENTIAL
- Earn the Certified Medical Practice Executive (CMPE) credential.
- Be a current MGMA member.
- Pay an application fee.
- Submit your Fellowship program application
- Hold a Bachelor's degree with at least seven years of healthcare experience, including two years in a leadership role.
- Hold a Master's degree with at least five years of healthcare experience, including two years in a leadership role.
- Identify a relevant problem in healthcare which requires an innovative solution and is tied to the Body of Knowledge for Medical Practice Management.
- Develop a strategic business plan for implementing an innovative solution to the chosen problem or issue. Business plan must meet approved format.
- Complete six volunteer hours.
NOTE: All tasks must be completed within TWO years of your program acceptance date.
- Submit 50 continuing education (CE) hours every three years.*
- Complete six volunteer hours.
- Remain an MGMA member.
* Includes 30 hours from MGMA National, state or local
(Of the 30, 12 must be LIVE learning from MGMA National, state or local) and 20 from qualified sources that pertain to the medical practice management field or MGMA
ACMPE Fellowship enhancement highlights
Education and experience eligibility
Starting in January 2019, to participate in the Fellowship program candidates must either have a Bachelor’s degree AND seven years of healthcare experience, OR a Master’s degree AND five years of healthcare experience. At least two years of this experience must be in a leadership role.
Business plan proposals
Fellows are thought leaders within healthcare organizations and should be able to demonstrate the ability to execute on dynamic solutions to business problems. In that spirit, we will be phasing out the professional paper submission and moving towards the submission of innovative business plan proposals. We believe this move will better support our Fellows to concretely demonstrate practical skills to current and potential employers. NOTE: Fellowship applicants can begin submitting a strategic business plan in place of the professional paper starting as early as Jan. 1, 2018.
Continuing education requirements
To ensure the highest quality of education for our Fellows, we will require that the 50 hours of continuing education now include 30 hours from MGMA state and national learning, including at least 12 face-to-face hours. The remaining 20 hours may come from either MGMA or qualified outside sources. This will also apply to the 50 hours of continuing education required every three years to remain certified.
To showcase a commitment to their industry, Fellows will be required to complete six volunteer hours beginning in January 2019. These hours must include three hours from healthcare related opportunities and three hours from community service.
Candidates who enter the Fellowship program in 2019 will now have two years from their application date to complete their Fellowship requirements.
Requirements for current CMPEs pursuing Fellowship under the new enhancements
If current CMPEs do NOT hold a bachelor’s degree by Dec. 31, 2018 they will need to:
- Receive approval on a business plan proposal or paper outline AND submit a final business plan or manuscript by Dec. 31, 2018.
If they have a bachelor’s degree AND seven years of healthcare management AND two years in a leadership role; OR they have a master’s degree with five years management, AND two years in a leadership role, they will need to begin work on the following starting Jan. 1, 2019:
- Complete Fellowship within two years of your application date. If accepted before Jan. 1, 2019, they will have until Dec. 31, 2020 to complete.
- If they have a paper outline submitted and accepted prior to Jan. 1, 2019, they may continue working on their paper manuscript up until two years from their outline approval date. Starting in 2019, business plan submissions will be the only acceptable submission if no outline is previously accepted.
- Log 50 hours of continuing education (CE) every three years following the new 2019 CE requirements. These CE requirements also apply to maintain their current CMPE credential in 2019.
If you have any questions about these new enhancements, please contact us.